Monday, April 9, 2012

Don't Call Me, I'll Call You

A few months back, I wrote an article about the top five things you should never say to a pregnant woman. I thought I had a pretty comprehensive list, cautioning readers to avoid saying things like, “You are huge!” and “Should you be eating that?” But if I could write the article over, I would certainly add, “Is the baby here yet?” to the list.

As I approach my 42nd week of pregnancy, I’ve been overwhelmed with calls, texts and e-mails from friends and family members who think they missed out on the big announcement. I can’t tell you how tired I am of having to tell everyone that I’m still waiting. And I can’t tell you how annoying it is to have to pretend to laugh when I hear, “Oh, he’s a stubborn one!” for the 99th time.

If I sound a little annoyed, it’s because I am. I know that everyone is just excited and concerned about me, but it only makes me more anxious and concerned myself. While I’m doing my best not to obsess about when my little guy will make his debut, people’s calls force me back inside my head. They force me to wake up every morning wondering if today will be the day. They make me nervous that every bit of movement is the start of something. And worst of all, they leave me disappointed, thinking something is wrong with me because I haven’t gone into labor yet.

And even though I’ve told everyone that I’ll make sure they know the moment #2 is here, they ignore my request for space and check on me relentlessly. I don’t want to appear ungrateful, but I have to appeal to everyone who has been on baby watch for the past three weeks – If you don’t hear from me, it’s because NOTHING HAS HAPPENED! No one wants this whole thing to be over more than me (and maybe my husband). So don’t worry about missing out on the news. If you’re anywhere in the tri-state area, you’ll probably hear me shouting from the rooftops when this whole ordeal is over!

No comments:

Post a Comment