Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Past Due!




Never in my wildest dreams did I think I’d be in a hurry to experience tremendous pain, but believe it or not, that is exactly what’s happening. For the past couple of days, I’ve been going out of my mind trying to figure out what I can do to trigger my body into labor.

The rational me knows that due dates are totally arbitrary, and that babies rarely have any regard for what doctors and midwives think they’re going to do. However, the impatient me, who can barely sleep with anticipation, (and 30 extra pounds of baby weight) finds it very difficult to deal with the fact that my little guy is four days past the day he was projected to arrive.

It probably doesn’t help that my friends and family have been calling and texting me like crazy thinking that they’ve missed out on some big news. I’m sure it has to be a major buzz-kill to hear that I’m sitting at the playground rather than in my birthing pool. I’ve been trying to convince them to place their bets on a date to make things interesting.

I try to stay sane by telling myself that this is exactly what’s supposed to happen. One of the major reasons we decided on a home birth was to allow the labor process to happen organically. Part of that means surrendering to the process mind, body and spirit. I’m lucky enough to have the chance to have a childbirth do over, and erase all of the bad memories I had from my Pitocin-induced, botched epidural experience. I just hope that this kid’s stubbornness isn’t a sign of things to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment